British Horseracing Association bar Mr Incredible from running in the Grand National
IMAGO
Trainer Sandy Thomson has said that outsider Mr Incredible was barred from competing in this year’s Grand National by the British Horseracing Authority (BHA).
The National Fence Review Panel determined that last year’s Midlands Grand National runner-up would prove too disruptive.
Check out the best UK bookmakers to claim free bets worth up to £850!
Thomson said he and the horse’s owner, James Manclark, appealed the decision after putting in a lot of work getting him ready for the race and being pleased with his progress.
This year’s Grand National race once again sees a reduced field of 34 horses, rather than the 40-strong field of previous years. As a result, the selection criteria has been tightened.
In October 2023, the National Fence Review Panel announced that any horses that made jumping errors in half of their last eight races before the main event would undergo further investigation.
Mr Incredible failed to finish in six of his last seven races and has failed to finish his last four. The nine-year-old’s most recent race was at Kelso in March.
In that race, he pulled up after the 14th fence, having made a mistake at the previous jump. Mr Incredible was a 10/1 shot for last year’s Grand National but he unseated his jockey, Brian Hayes, at The Chair. In 2023, Hayes’s saddle slipped, leaving him unseated once again.
According to a statement from the BHA: “Each horse entered to take part in any race over the Grand National fences must undergo a review by the National Fence Review Panel, a highly experienced group including former jockeys, veterinarians, clerks of the course and stewards who carefully consider each horse’s suitability to take part.”
Thomson said: “Their concern was that he would disrupt the start,” before defending his horse, saying: “He has never disrupted any start. Having got him started at Kelso I saw no reason why he wouldn’t start in the Grand National, and having more horses around him would have helped.”
According to the Scottish trainer, they had been working with Freddy Steele, a horse therapist, for the last seven weeks. He had shown improvement following the use of natural horsemanship techniques. Despite any improvements, the BHA has intervened and declared the horse, owned by Winter Olympian James Manclark, unfit for the competition.
Manclark competed in the luge at the 1968 Winter Olympics in France, for Great Britain. He also competed in bobsleigh events and played elephant polo.
The 85-year-old has been trying for three years to have a ride to compete in the flagship race. Thomson has said they hope to have Mr Incredible ready for next year’s event.
The Grand National takes place this Saturday, 5 April, at Aintree. The field of 34 runners is headed by current favourites Intense Raffles and Stumptown, priced at 7/1, with Iroko at 8/1, and last year’s winner I Am Maximus 9/1 via Ladbrokes.
A total of 33 of the field of 34 have been confirmed. Three horses, including Harry Redknapp’s Shakem Up ‘Arry, are vying for the final position.
Other News
-
Birmingham City’s official betting partner in Asia - God55 - have come under scrutiny about its licences
-
US election odds: Could Donald Trump serve a third term?
-
Ex-Ladbrokes Coral boss Jim Mullen revealed as new Jockey Club CEO
-
AK Bets soon to be live in the UK after receiving a licence from the UKGC